3.17.2009

A Favorite Poem, Written By My Father


This is a poem written by my father that he included in his book of poetry entitled "Mosaic".  And while I don't have a favorite, there are many I love, this is quite beautiful.  


My Body All in Stars

This wide, wide open night I stand miles high
Within the starlight cradling air, 
And in my covering of clay
Awaken little embryonic stars;
Infant suns and moons are kindled on my tongue,
Whole galaxies revolve
Upon the tips of my bright fingers.

I loom higher, 
Melting outward in the drifting air of space, 
Until Arcturus pulses as my bright and spindled heart, 
Until my loins become the rowdy red Aldebaran
Of fecund Taurus, 
My mind the quick blue flame of Rigel. 

O praise that high, expansive unity
That binds my triangle of sacramental self
Upon the altars of the sky
In reverence to those lordly stars
That are kindred brothers to the throne of God. 

- Randall L. Hall

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're up late....who/what is Arcturus, etc. (I'm so dense sometimes.....)

Rugger said...

Nice poem!