3.19.2009

There has been a lot of talk this week about bonuses.  They say congress has decided to tax the AIG bonuses 90% if they are over two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.   

Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Dollars is a small enough amount, apparently, to not worry about.  I would like a Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Dollar bonus.  

I suppose working at AIG has required long hours, education, skill, etc.  And that those jobs pay very high.  

How about this? I will spend eight hours in an AIG office, and one of their employees with one of these "smaller bonuses" can spend eight hours at my job.  I'll handle the pressures of restructuring, or looking over accounts, of talking to this bank and this bank about this investment and that investment...

...while they spend time in the last week of the term for twenty plus foster kids, oh, one ran last week, oh, by the way, one had her best friend attempt suicide twice this week, oh...don't forget to visit so-and-so before the reunification, and please call the caseworker so she can give that updated report to the judge.  Please be refreshed and ready to explain every school course K through 12.  Did you double check those graduation requirements we needed an update on, and what about getting those records transferred from Canada?  Did you call that therapist who needed to talk to you?  And don't worry, it's not you, it's just reactive attachment disorder.  

And at the end of that day we could split the bonus!  Smiles.  Actually, at the end of the day, I much prefer my job, I adore it actually, as hard as it can be.  It would just be nice if my School District payed 165 million in retention bonuses, to ensure we would be here next year.  As it stands, some of us are just wondering if they will be able to afford us at all.  Sigh, the ironies of life.  

I guess, when all is said and done, I prefer to be at this end of the totem pole.  My bonus this week will consist of seeing a girl pass the term with flying colors against all odds...and that really is the better end of the deal.  


1 comment:

Allysha said...

this is a nice post.