3.04.2009

Change; Regression and Progression and The Freedom to Partake in His Goodness

Everyone has heard the false argument that has become a Hollywood cliche, the idea that people shouldn't change, or they aren't being true to themselves.  There is always the movie where someone gets "that job", and suddenly the climax of the film is a friend or lover saying "You've changed, and I don't know who you are anymore."  Yet it's inevitable that people do change and grow.  It's imperative.  Wanting someone to stay the exact same is damning them to reject opportunities to move forward, though this does mean that they can make decisions which cause them to go backward.   

The thing to watch out for is who you are listening as you progress in your life.  I have two forces desiring to help me change.  One would help me to progress to light, freedom, service, character, and divinity.  The other would want to make me think more of myself, attach to things, to create a "lifestyle" that defines me, and to chain me down to all important things like "What do I want to do with my life in my way in my time, and who was wearing what at the Oscars?"

"Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man.  And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life through the great Mediator of all men [Christ], or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.  
"And now...I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life..."

(2 Nephi 2:27-28)

The great thing about following Christ in this progression is that He refines our divine natures.  He helps to purify and cleanse, and lead us to what our true essence is.  And so we do change and progress without losing our heritage.  Satan, the father of all lies, not only wants us to change, but in a way that abandons our true nature in the process, creating harshness instead of refinement, and shrinking instead of expansion.  He wants us to disappear inside the ills of society and get lost.  

Here is the fantastic thing about Christ leading us, "He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him.  Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation. "
"Behold, hath the Lord commanded any that they should not partake of his goodness?  Behold I say unto you, Nay; but all men are privileged the one like unto the other, and none are forbidden."
"...He inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness..."

(2 Nephi 26: 24, 28, 33)


 

2 comments:

Allysha said...

lovely. and so true. that "lifestyle" ~ it's a tricky one!

LHall said...

Great post Bethany and let me be the first to wish you Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!

Love ya lots!