4.14.2009

Easter Expressions Through Art

Each year Easter brings a new slant for me, and I find myself experiencing a particular aspect in more depth then the rest.  This year I found three things stayed with me through out the week proceeding.  The first was actually the birth of Christ.  I suppose having studied Isaiah 53 would be part of the reason.  

"Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? 
 " For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."

Isaiah 53:1,2

This particular painting is not a classic, and it's actually fairly recent, but I enjoy it because of the lighting.  I also wonder as to the role of the small shepherd.  (Painting by Joseph Brickey)





The image of Christ on the cross is not the prominent one for me at this time of year, not because I don't want to remember the suffering, Isaiah presents that in vivid artistry, but the Joy to be had when death (physical death and spiritual death) was conquered, ever defeated, is incomprehensible.  The final word was Christ rising triumphant from the tomb.   As I contemplate all Easter art, word, painting, music...I find the one that seems most significant at this time is singing.  Aloud and en mass.  So,  these two links paint the perfect Easter picture for me, at least this year, in art. 


Christ The Lord Is Risen Today 



X.


Death, be not proud, though some have called thee 

Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so ; 

For those, whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow, 

Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me. 

...

One short sleep past, we wake eternally, 

And Death shall be no more,  Death, thou shalt die. 


- John Donne 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you meant your question about whether or not there were any images of the period between the crucifixion and the resurrection to be rhetorical, but El Greco has a painting called "The Repentant St. Peter" that I think is of exactly the moment you describe - Peter, washed over in grief and recognition of his betrayal.

http://www.lyons.co.uk/html/large/Repentant.htm

I like this painting for many reasons, but one reason I do is that even though you can feel the depth of Peter's despair, the way his eyes lift up to heaven also shows his hope in Christ. I actually find images like this one resonate with me more than portrayals of a triumphant Easter morning - I find that this painting and those like it better capture the reality and complexity of faith (for me, at least).

~Airen

LHall said...

Thanks for your thoughts Bethany. I would like to respond more profoundly but it's not the time and season....