4.26.2009

"When we understand the character of God, and know how to come to Him, he begins to unfold the heavens to us, and to tell us all about it.  When we are ready to come to him, he is ready to come to us."
~ Joseph Smith

I was thinking about this quote the other day, and found myself running into an interesting and companionable idea to it on the wall of a school library, next to a picture of a monarch butterfly.  

"How does one become a butterfly?", she asked. 
"You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar." 
~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

In the process of coming to a greater understanding of deity we have to want the spiritual progress more than we want certain aspects of our current situation.  And as hard as these steps are to take, I have found that after my own chrysalis' of life, when I am that much more a loft, that letting go of the caterpillar was more rewarding than I ever could have imagined. 



2 comments:

Kristin said...

Bethany, thank you for all these pictures and mentioning all the old haunts. Talk about homesick! Too fun.:-)

LHall said...

Great thought - I'm going to steal it.